(This is a Charitable Advisors supported search. All applications should be made through this website. Qualified candidates with questions, are invited to contact Kathleen Poland at Kathleen@CharitableAdvisors.com or Bryan Orander at Bryan@CharitableAdvisors.com )
Located in the northern portion of the Whitewater River Valley is a family-friendly community with a proud business heritage and commitment to a full-bodied lifestyle, solid health care and human services and a robust educational system. This small, rural county with excellent fishing and outdoor recreational activities and its seat Connersville. Fayette County is home to 124 native tree species, numerous historic landmarks and parks including the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary, and offers a comfortable lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle of big city life.
For the past thirty-five years, the Fayette Community Foundation has been helping this county chart its course into the future. The Foundation, which has been a faithful steward and effective conduit for charitable giving, strives to "to inspire a spirit of philanthropy and leadership in Fayette County to enhance the quality of life." The foundation works with donors to create funds that reflect donors' charitable goals. These generous givers, past and present, have enabled the foundation to provide financial support across all sectors of the county, including social services, youth, senior citizens, education, recreation, arts, culture, animal welfare, and community development. Fayette Community Foundation has awarded millions of dollars in grants and scholarships since inception, including more than $200,000 in 2019. Current assets are approximately $13 million with 170 funds.
These are exciting times for Indiana community foundations, which are taking more visible community leadership roles. Fayette Community Foundation is partnering with organizations across the county to advance new health and wellness initiatives. This provides a great opportunity for the right leader.
Because of the pending retirement of its current executive, the Fayette Community Foundation board is seeking a community- and people-oriented leader to build on a strong base of support and community momentum. The Executive Director should be familiar with charitable giving and able to quickly establish him or herself in Connersville and the smaller communities across Fayette County. This is a heavy relationship-building and connecting role with at least half of the leader's time devoted to building and sustaining relationships across the community. The ideal candidate will need to be approachable, a good listener and able and willing to use casual interactions to promote the work of the Foundation. In addition, the Executive Director will supervise a committed team of three staff plus several contractors and consultants.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Board relations
• Fund Raising
• Grants and program management
• Public relations and Marketing
• Budget oversight
• Staff supervision and training
Desired skills and talents include:
• Effective communications skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to raise funds from individuals, businesses, private foundations, and other potential contributors to meet organizational/community objectives
• Ability to work effectively with community leaders, including executives of other charitable organizations.
• Capacity to determine community needs and to evaluate funding requests with patience, mature judgment, and imagination.
• A compelling commitment to the philanthropic sector and to the betterment of the community.
• Ability to learn quickly and monitor foundation activities in a field of complex legislation and regulations.
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant field; substantial experience may be substituted.
• Fundraising training or certification such as a CFRM or Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) would be a plus, but not required.
• Past, current or future resident of Fayette County, Indiana preferred but will consider residents of other counties.
• An essential function of the Executive Director is to continue to inspire the Board and staff to carry forward an active development program.
• Success in fund development or sales are desired in a candidate.
• Ability to managed complexity and juggle many tasks simultaneously
For more information about Fayette Community Foundation, visit: www.givetofcf.com
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for this position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1) Why would leading Fayette Community Foundation be a great match for you?
2) Tell us about your experience and success in building and maintaining relationships with prospective donors, customers, or clients.
3) Provide an example of how you have taken a leadership role to bring people, organizations, and/or resources together to make a difference in your community.
4) Share your experience running the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization, small business, or department (e.g. financial management, human resources/staff, programs, board relationship).
5) Based on either your personal knowledge of the Fayette County area or your research, what do you see as some of the greatest opportunities in our county?
Click HERE for instructions on submitting a cover letter and resume.